8.05.2011

It all started from copyright...

I wanted to write something completely different but yesterday I had a very interesting conversation with a great expert in laws. She said copyright was an America invention. Well done!

Therefore I decided to add a new content to the blog: laws. I am not a real expert therefore you won't get very many details nor something too complicated to read/understand. I think I will simply share what I know (and am sure of...)

The first to talk about copyright (well, not using this word of course) were printers from Venice. However, the one who created copyright was a British Queen, Queen Anne who, in 1710 published
the British Statute of Anne. It was some sort of statement to protect authors from printers who used and abused their works without paying a single penny.

We've gone a long way since then. However, not as much as we should. In fact, there are still problems in regards to allowing blind people to access most books, also because they can only request something in the language of the country where they live. For example, if I live in Italy I can only get texts in Italian, even if my mother-tongue is not Italian. (The same in other countries with other languages)

As you already know, I am not much into e-books and all that but I think this to be quite rude and politically not correct because everyone should be given the opportunity to enjoy books, not only those of us who can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment