7.27.2011

44 Scotland Street


One of my favourite writers is Alexander McCall Smith. It is not about anything in specific. It's just that his books (the way they're written, characters, stories etc) makes me happy. Therefore, it is with great pleasure that I'm writing this post about 44 Scotland Street, a new series of adventures set in Edinburgh.

The first characters we meet are Bruce and Pat. She's looking for a new place and he's got a room to rent. From the very first pages we get to know a lot of both. For example, from the way he complains about the previous flatmate, who left everything in the room and in a very messy way. Not fair, I should say, but very intriguing considering the way Bruce goes on and on about her.
And Pat? Well, she's trying to find herself, her place in the world (in all possible ways) and changing house seems to be the first step.

Something I really liked about the book was the author's ability to make me get into things in a very natural way. For example, the feelings, memories, thoughts characters have to deal with in connection with smells. Lizzie Todd, for example. She goes 'home' to visit her parents and on her way in, just before she opens the door she smells something which is familiar but doesn't give her any positive feeling: lavender. In fact, from a very young age she learned not to love it. I think this image is quite strong. It was for me because when I read the few sentences that describe it, I tried to imagine what Lizzie felt like. Everyone should be happy, relaxed, safe at "home" but Lizzie can't.

Pat finally finds a job in a art gallery. Her boss is someone called Matthew who seems very busy reading the newspaper and who's always having a break - quite interesting way of keeping a business, don't you think? - I think she's my favourite character in the book because she's very naive and quite funny, especially when she realises she really like Bruce and somehow she gets to compare him to a statue from Michaelangelo (the David, which is the tall one, naked, very sporty). Don't ask me why but I had imagined Bruce so very different from David and all I can say about this is... love's blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment