8.08.2011

Fancy some crime?

I confess I am quite a curious reader. I have tried to read books from any possible genre and have probably decided (am not 100% sure of that) some books/authors were just not for me.

However, I try to keep an eye open to books in general and I have to confess I feel every single author can teach me something about books but also about myself.

Therefore, even though I would not describe myself as crime fiction fan, I want to share what I know with you (and maybe get some feedback or suggestions...)

The detective I know best from the USA is Perry Mason. If I don't get wrong his adventures were published for about 60 years. I also know of Kay Scarpetta from Patricia Cornwell.

France...I studied French Literature at university... Maigret from Gorges Simenon (I love the way he describes life in small places).

UK...I think the most representative is Hercule Poirot, from Agatha Christie. She's the best selling author of all times in the UK and I think she's just incredible. But there are also Nigel Strangeways from Cecil Day-Lewis, Adan Dangliesh (PD James) and John Rebus (Ian Rankin)

Italy: Commissario Montalbano by Andrea Camilleri. I am not very good at understanding the language spoken in Sicily but I think Camilleri portrayed the protagonist very well. He has to deal with nightmares... and women but he's fab at his job. Also, I really like the movies taken from these books. The actor who plays Montalbano is so cool!

Last but not the least (well, I decided to write these ones at the end of this entry because I think they're the starting point but also the end one: you can't understand crime fiction without having read them:

Auguste Dupin by Edgar Allan Poe. Well, Poe is quite scary from my point of view and that's why I admire him so much. He manages to make you, the reader, feel something for real just by working on your imagination.
Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: how can you not love him?

Did I forget anyone? Well I surely did but I hope not the really big ones;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment